An Amazing Story From Foster Parent Kate Telkamp


We’ve worked with some amazing people over the years, and Kate Telkamp is one of them. As a foster parent, she was looking for a larger home to help more kids.


We help some amazing people buy and sell real estate, and we want to share some of their stories with you. 

Today’s interview is with Kate Telkamp. Kate decided to do foster care, and she realized that she would like a bigger home to help accommodate the kids. This is Kate’s story: 

“Almost two years ago, I started thinking about foster care. I’ve always had a heart for kids, but I felt like I needed to do more, and foster care was really a great way to do that. It was just something I felt in my heart. It felt like it was the right thing to do, and I knew it wouldn’t be easy. I knew it would be heartbreaking at times, but it just felt like the right thing to do. 

“The child that was placed with me had been in temporary placement for a couple of weeks. I had him for almost exactly six months over the summer, and I got to see him go from a 15-month old to a 21-month old, which is just fantastic. 

“The house worked well for us, but I started thinking that I would like just one more bedroom. I’d like to be able to accommodate one or two more kids.  

I’m just here to keep them safe and help them grow for as long as I have them.

“I waited five or six months and I finally decided, ‘Well, I’ve been hearing all these commercials for Tyler Goff,’ and called them. My sister had worked with them and had a really great experience, so why not give them a call and see what they say? 

“Tyler called me back and asked why I was interested in selling, and I said I was interested in foster care and wanted something a little bigger. They hit it hard. They had an awesome marketing strategy. A professional stager came in and gave me some advice, and a professional photographer came in and did the pictures. They had an open house two days into the listing, and we sold it that day.

“I don’t ever feel like I need something big and extravagant, but I wanted a little more room to accommodate the kids a little bit better. I’m just here to keep them safe and help them grow for as long as I have them. 

“I’ve never felt that my career would be what defines me. I felt it was everything else I’ve done in my life that defines me. I just feel that I have so much that I can give to somebody else. I can share this life with a child for however long they’re with me.” 

Thank you so much to Kate for sharing her story with us. We are glad we could help her find the right home for her and the children she fosters. What she does is truly amazing. 

If you or anyone you know is looking for a better fit for their family, just give us a call or send us an email. We would be happy to help you!

No comments :

Post a Comment